This is an automatically generated PDF version of the online resource retrieved on 2024/05/31 at 00:37
Global Media Registry (GMR) & VERA Files - all rights reserved, published under Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Global Media Registry

Pilipino Star Ngayon

The daily Tagalog tabloid Pilipino Star Ngayon, formerly known as Ang Pilipino Ngayon, was established on March 17, 1986, a few weeks after the EDSA Revolution. It preceded its broadsheet counterpart Philippine STAR, with an aim to provide news to the masses at the more affordable rate of P10, half of the broadsheet’s price.

Founded by the Belmonte matriarch Betty-Go Belmonte, Pilipino Star Ngayon, Incorporated is now owned by Hastings Holdings, a company under Manuel V. Pangilinan, with 80 percent shares. The remaining 20 percent still belongs to the Belmonte family: former Speaker Feliciano, Jr., STAR Group president and CEO Miguel, Philippine Star head of editorial board Isaac, Philstar Global CEO Kevin and Quezon City Vice Mayor Joy each have 4 percent shares, according to the company’s 2015 General Information Sheet filed at the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Key facts

Audience Share


Ownership Type


Geographic Coverage


Content Type

paid content

Passive Transparency

upon request, ownership data is easily available from the company/channel

3 ♥

Media Companies / Groups

Hastings Holdings, Inc.


Ownership Structure

Pilipino Star Ngayon is 80-percent owned by Manuel V. Pangilinan's Hastings Holdings. The Belmonte family holds 20-percent of the remaining shares, and Miguel Belmonte stands as the company's president.

Group / Individual Owner

Individual Owner

Media Companies / Groups

General Information

Founding Year



Betty Go-Belmonte, Tess Ramiro, Fr. Jose C. Blanco

Affiliated Interests Founder

Fomer journalist Betty Go-Belmote is also the founder of Pilipino Star Ngayon's broadsheet counterpart The Philippine Star. Jesuit priest Fr. Jose C. Blanco, S.J. was also a columnist of the paper until he passed away in 2006 while Dr. Tess Ramiro was a director of a medical NGO.


Miguel G. Belmonte

Affiliated Interests Ceo

Miguel Belmonte is son of Philippine Star founder Betty Go-Belmonte. His father Feliciano Belmonte, Jr. was former House Speaker while his sister Joy Belmonte is incumbent Quezon City vice mayor.


Alfonso Pedroche

Affiliated Interests Editor-In-Chief

Pedroche was once a Malacanang beat reporter before he moved up the editorial ladder of Pilipino Star Ngayon. He served as vice president of journalists' association National Press Club and now as president-chairperson of the Philippine Press Institute.


13th Corner Railroad St., Port Area, Manila, Philippines 1016Telephone Number: +632-527-2389, +632-527-7901Fax Number: +632-527-2403,

Financial Information

Revenue (in Mill. $)

6.25 Mil $ / 292.74 Mil P

Operating Profit (in Mill. $)

1.51 Mil $ / 70.90 Mil P

Advertising (in % of total funding)

1.21 Mil $ / 56.86 Mil P

Market Share

Missing Data

Further Information

Meta Data

Conversion rate on Dec. 31, 2015: P 46.85
Audience share from Nielsen's Consumer and Media View (Jan.-June 2016)


General Information Sheet of Pilipino Star Ngayon, Inc. (available upon request at SEC) (2015), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)

  • Project by
    VERA Files
    Global Media Registry
  • Funded by